Rock Paper Shotgun
|Rock, Paper, Shotgun|
Rock, Paper, Shotgun (commonly abbreviated as RPS) is a UK-based PC gaming blog, written by Alec Meer, Jim Rossignol, Adam Smith, and John Walker. Former writers include Kieron Gillen, and Quintin Smith. The site was launched in July 2007. In 2010 the website partnered with Eurogamer.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun participated in the "Gamers are Dead" blitz.
Pre GamerGate Controversies
Clickbait Article about Max Temkin and his response to a fake rape accusation
Max Temkin, co-creator of the tabletop game Cards Against Humanity, was accused of rape by a woman who he had a brief relationship with while studying at college. The accusation was initially made to a third party on Facebook, and was followed up by the alleged victim, who identified herself as 'Magz', posting her story on Tumblr. Temkin's response was to post on his own blog in his own defence, denying that any rape or sexual assault occurred. The alleged crime was never reported and Temkin was never charged. No evidence has ever been produced to indicate the alleged assault took place. Temkin took no action against Magz. No tabletop game sites reported on this incident.
Similarly to Patricia Hernandez's article on Kotaku, Florence explicitly remained non-committed regarding Temkin's guilt, except to say that he believed in "the old innocent until proven guilty thing" and that "Witness testimony is, in fact, evidence." His article focused on the fact that this incident appeared to be under-reported in the gaming media, and more significantly, and that Temkin had misrepresented the element of consent in sexual interactions. Specifically, Florence stated that Temkin's response contained "irresponsible language" which "needs to be called out when we see it." This was in response to a short section from Temkin's post where Temkin suggested that the alleged victim "read something completely different [into the relationship] than I did into an awkward college hookup."
Role in GamerGate
Articles Attacking Gamers
- The Monday Papers - Graham Smith (1st Sep)
Known Conflicts of Interest
Mitu Khandaker-Kokoris & Christine Love
On the 10th of October 2014, Cara Ellison mentioned Mitu Khandaker-Kokoris’s game, Redshirt, in an article while Khandaker-Kokoris donates to Ellison via Patreon with no disclaimer. In the same article, Ellison referenced multiple of Christina Love's games, stating: "(which I really should write about, though RPS cover her work enthusiastically)" while Love also donates to her Patreon (again with no disclaimer).
Philippa Warr & Terry Cavanagh
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a Steam curator/group: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/33526-Rock-Paper-Shotgun/
- http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/30/half-life-on-turning-35-and-leaving-rps/ Half-Life: On Turning 35 And Leaving RPS
- http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/04/announcing-quindependence-day/ Announcing: Quindependence Day
- http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/01/rps-announces-partnership-with-eurogamer/ RPS Announces Partnership With Eurogamer
- http://humanityagainstassault.tumblr.com/post/91625206355/truth/ Humanity Against Sexual Assault: Truth
- http://blog.maxistentialism.com/post/91476212698/this-is-a-blog-post-thats-incredibly-confusing/ Maxistentialism
- https://archive.today/IQfkO Cardboard Children: Cards Against Humanity
- https://archive.today/tARLq RPS Feature: S.EXE: VA-11 HALL-A
- https://archive.today/8F6Bm Kokoris Patreon
- https://archive.today/Qtzgs Christina Love Patreon archive