Aliases https://twitter.com/Cacophanus , http://cacophanus.tumblr.com/ , http://www.linkedin.com/in/oliverbarder
Occupation video game developer, freelance journalist
Affiliations Mecha Damashii (fansite), Gears of War (Senior Game Designer (former))
Ollie Barder is a video game developer and freelance journalist, for then years has worked in the video game industry. He was the Senior Game Designer of Microsoft's Gears of War: Judgment and founded the giant mecha fansite, Mecha Damashii. 
On Gaming Journalism
On August 31 (or September 1), Barder criticized the incompetence and corruption, that he has seen within video game journalism:
- Whenever I tried to write about what ACTUALLY happens in game development that was a big no-no. Needed to be about "auteurs."
- I used to write corrections in the EDGE forum years ago and they have harassed me ever since. So shit.
- The biggest problem, I've had is that unless I towed the publisher endorsed line, I rarely got work. That's just crap really!
- As an aside I am going to TGS this year. So if you want some coverage minus the publisher bullshit, then hit me up!
- EDGE always embodied the desire to be taken seriously in a really horrible way. Anti-facts almost.
- Off to bed soon (I'm in Tokyo btw) but the outpouring of support is REALLY APPRECIATED!
- Don't back down or give up. If you care about games then this shit really matters. Been fighting this crap for a decade!
- Few more old friends have unfollowed me over #GamerGate it seems. People are conflating this with misogyny, which is just wrong.
- Was often told to make my articles "less factual," because the readers wouldn't understand. What?!?
- The EDGE posse have been shitting on gamers for years. This was written LAST YEAR (Parkin is ex-EDGE) - If You Love Games, You Should Refuse to be Called a Gamer Link: https://archive.is/wBQAh
- So a bunch of former game journo friends have unfollowed/blocked me because I've spoken out about #GamerGate, rather sad really...
- So if anyone wants to hire a freelance Japanese correspondent (who loves mecha) I am now rather available! 
On September 1, Barder claimed to have been "blacklisted." 
In response to rumors spreading on the web, Barder clarified that he had been cut off by a company for which he was working as a freelance writing for. 
- Also, it wasn't really a "dismissal," more just stonewalled/ignored.
- You don't get dismissed as a freelancer really. Just no follow up work.