Difference between revisions of "New York Times"
|Line 88:||Line 88:|
* [[Raul E. Cesan]] - Director since 1999
* [[Raul E. Cesan]] - Director since 1999
* [[Ellen Marram | Ellen R. Marram]] - Director since 1998
* [[Ellen Marram | Ellen R. Marram]] - Director since 1998
== References ==
== References ==
Revision as of 03:31, 31 March 2019
- 1 Role In Gamergate
- 2 Other Controversies
- 3 Company Information
- 4 References
Role In Gamergate
On October 16 2014, the New York Times published an article by Nick Wingfield which editors gave the misleading headline "Feminist Critics of Video Games Facing Threats in 'GamerGate' Campaign". The article was placed by the Bohle Company of Sue Bohle, the PR representative of Kate Edwards of IGDA.
The New York Times received and published letters from three people connecting alleged harassment of Sarkeesian with those concerned about collusion and falsehoods in the media:
- Vander Caballero, founder and CEO of Minority Media
- Joshua Eschen of Lawrence Township, New Jersey
- Ruta Sevo, retired National Science Foundation senior program officer for Research on Gender in Science and Engineering.
Following the publication of this headline, most major media refused to mention any allegations of close relationships and undisclosed collusion between writers and developers, and would instead falsely claim that Gamergate was a harassment campaign.
- The New York Times article gave favorable coverage to Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency whose writer Jonathan McIntosh had previously worked for Mimi Ito, the sister of New York Times board member Joichi Ito and a board member of Wikipedia.
- Anita Sarkeesian had previously been highlighted by several of the Gamers are Dead articles which had proven collusion between the writers of multiple publications.
- Sue Bohle is the longtime PR representative for Microsoft and handles PR for the Game Developers Conference and Penny Arcade Expo.
- Kate Edwards and multiple members of IGDA were present in OpGamergate, an aborted Anonymous operation to target people discussing Gamergate.
- Kate Edwards and the FBI had been working since July 2014 on a project "to combat online harassment", specifically mentioning Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn. 
On May 1, 2015 the editorial board of the New York Times endorsed the HeartMob project of Emily May of Hollaback, and the Gamergate Autoblocker of Randi Harper which blocks Twitter users who have discussed Gamergate. 
After Mike Isaac wrote a straightforward news article on the resignation of Ellen Pao as CEO of Reddit, David Streitfeld rewrote the article to praise Pao as "a hero to many" for fighting "the entrenched sexist culture of Silicon Valley." 
Around April 2016 the New York Times began to demand access to the Facebook friends lists of users who wanted to leave comments on articles. 
In December 2016 Chris Sullentrop wrote an article denouncing Super Mario Run as "not a family-friendly game - or at least not one my wife and I will be letting our 6-year-old daughter play" due to the "stale, retrograde gender stereotypes" of Mario rescuing Princess Peach and Peach enjoying baking. 
Michael Cieply alleges that New York Times editors directed staff to force their reporting into a pre-defined "narrative."
- By and large, talented reporters scrambled to match stories with what internally was often called "the narrative." We were occasionally asked to map a narrative for our various beats a year in advance, square the plan with editors, then generate stories that fit the pre-designated line... Once, in the Los Angeles bureau, I listened to a visiting National staff reporter tell a contact, more or less: "My editor needs someone to say such-and-such, could you say that?"
- The bigger shock came on being told, at least twice, by Times editors who were describing the paper's daily Page One meeting: "We set the agenda for the country in that room."
CAMERA accuses the New York Times of deliberately falsifying several aspects of the Arab-Israeli conflict. The editors of the New York Times inserted a section into a tourism article on the Israeli city of Jaffa to falsely claim that Jews expelled Arabs from the city. 
Mixing Advertising and News
- Dean Baquet, who has been executive editor of the paper since May 2014, says flatly that the traditional news-advertising divide has become a luxury the Times can no longer afford.
New York Times Magazine published a cover story by Nathan Thrall about the BDS movement. Thrall is the director of the Arab-Israeli Project at the International Crisis Group which received $4 million from Qatar in 2017-2018, and has a history of writing approvingly of Hamas.
The New York Times published an opinion piece by Gehad el-Haddad, the official spokesman for the Muslim Brotherhood, in which he described the fundamentalist movement as advocating "social justice, equality and the rule of law."
Association with Iran
In 2015 the New York Times offers guided tours of Iran for $7,195. Members of the "Tales of Persia" tour would be accompanied by one of columnist Roger Cohen, editorial board member Carol Giacomo, or Paris correspondant Elaine Sciolino.
- This “once-forbidden land,” as the Times refers to it in its advertising copy for the trip, is now open for business thanks to the nuclear deal — whose passage the journalists on these trips have strenuously advocated. Roger Cohen (who has referred to opposition to the deal as “foolishness dressed up as machismo”) and, in addition to her capacity as an editorial board member, Carol Giacomo (who has characterized Sen. Bob Menendez’s opposition as “pre-endorsement of war”) were prominent supporters of lifting sanctions on Iran in exchange for limits on its nuclear program.
New York Times columnist Farhad Manjoo called for Google to suppress news stories and opinion pieces questioning the health of presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.  Three weeks later, Clinton would collapse at a 9/11 memorial ceremony.
Board of Directors
Board of Directors as of March 2015: 
- Arthur O. Sulzberger, Jr. - Director since 1997, chairman, publisher
- Michael Golden - Director since 1997, Vice Chairman
- Mark Thompson - Director since 2012, President & Chief Executive Officer
- Steven B. Green - Director since 2012
- Joichi Ito - Director since 2012
- Brian P. McAndrews - Director since 2012
- Carolyn D. Greenspon - Director since 2010
- Robert E. Denham - Director since 2008.
- James A. Kohlberg - Director since 2008
- Doreen A. Toben - Director since 2004
- David E. Liddle - Director since 2000
- Raul E. Cesan - Director since 1999
- Ellen R. Marram - Director since 1998
- Philippine Daily Inquirer as of March 2017
Rebecca van Dyck was elected to the Board of Directors of The New York Times Company in 2015. She was Vice President of Consumer and Brand Marketing at Facebook from 2012 - February 2017 and was previously Senior Vice President and global Chief Marketing Officer at Levi Strauss & Co. from 2011 - 2012.
Los Angeles bureau chief Todd Purdum is married to Dee Dee Myers of the Women's Media Center whose board includes Code Pink Women Support the Iran Deal supporters Jane Fonda, Robin Morgan, and Gloria Steinem. 
Former executive editor Jill Abramson attended the Harnisch Foundation event Bindercon LA with Anna Holmes of Jezebel and Columbia University journalism professor Emily Bell, who worked for the Guardian and the Observer from 1990 - 2010.
Buzzfeed assistant general counsel Nabiha Syed was a First Amendment fellow at The New York Times  and is a fellow at the Stanford Center for Internet and Society whose founder Larry Lessig is an acquaintance of Randi Harper.
Michelle Goldberg, as a writer for the student paper The Spectrum of the State University of New York, called for the violent assault of anti-abortion activists. In December 2018, Goldberg defended Ilhan Omar in a column titled "Anti-Zionism isn’t the same as Anti-Semitism."  Goldberg is married to Times writer Matt Ipcar, a member of Blue State Digital.
- Nick Wingfield, Feminist Critics of Video Games Facing Threats in 'GamerGate' Campaign, New York Times, October 16 2014, http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/technology/gamergate-women-video-game-threats-anita-sarkeesian.html
- The Bohle Company, The New York Times’ Nick Wingfield Speaks with Kate Edwards of the IGDA About GamerGate, October 22 2014, http://www.bohle.com/uncategorized/the-new-york-times-nick-wingfield-speaks-with-kate-edwards-of-the-igda-about-gamergate/ https://archive.is/xkTz9
- Cardboard Box A, Don't post in this thread you idiots. It's about twitter drama, Something Awful, Oct 16 2014, http://archive.fo/fS6H8
- Bias and Violence in Video Games, Letters to the New York Times, Oct 22 2014, 
- Mimi Ito, Peer-Based Learning in a Networked Age, May 13 2010, https://archive.is/qByhZ
- About Us, The Bohle Company, http://www.bohle.com/about-us/ https://archive.is/qOsPG
- Brian Crecente, FBI working with game developer association to combat online harassment, Polygon, September 4, 2014, http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/4/6105185/fbi-game-developer-harassment https://archive.fo/iafN4
- Enlisting Bystanders to Fight Online Abuse, New York Times, May 1 2015, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/opinion/enlisting-bystanders-to-fight-online-abuse.html https://archive.is/2ZXMj
- Christine Hauser, Twitter’s Ill-Timed ‘Frat Party’, July 22 2015, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/business/twitters-ill-timed-frat-party.html https://archive.is/BA4uc
- Comparing: It’s Silicon Valley 2, Ellen Pao 0: Fighter of Sexism Is Out at Reddit, NewsDiffs, http://newsdiffs.org/diff/934341/934454/www.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/technology/ellen-pao-reddit-chief-executive-resignation.html https://archive.is/waoD7
- Anonymous imgur user, New York Times: "Tell us who you're friends are or you can't open a new account", https://imgur.com/81qEwll
- Chris Sullentrop, Super Mario Run’s Not-So-Super Gender Politics, New York Times, December 22 2016, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/opinion/super-mario-runs-not-so-super-gender-politics.html https://archive.is/ZOy3w
- Michael Cieply, Stunned By Trump, The New York Times Finds Time For Some Soul-Searching, Deadline, November 10, 2016, http://deadline.com/2016/11/shocked-by-trump-new-york-times-finds-time-for-soul-searching-1201852490/ https://archive.is/5xEtX
- Gilead Ini, The Gray Lady Doth Protest Too Much, CAMERA, January 24 2017 http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_context=2&x_outlet=35&x_article=3558 https://archive.is/Y7Mha
- Elder of Ziyon, The @NYTimes bullied into publishing lie "most Arabs forcibly removed from their homes in Jaffa", March 16 2019, http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-nytimes-bullied-into-publishing-lie.html https://archive.is/FXV5J
- By Jeff Gerth, In the digital age, The New York Times treads an increasingly slippery path between news and advertising, Columbia Journalism Review, June 28 2017 https://www.cjr.org/special_report/digital-age-the-new-york-times-slippery-path-news-advertising.php https://archive.is/8pniD
- Adam Kredo, Author of NYT Anti-Israel Piece Works for Group Funded by Qatar, Washington Free Beacon, March 29 2019
- Judith Bergman, The Muslim Brotherhood: Peddling Sharia as Social Justice, Gateway Institute, March 30 2017, https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10132/muslim-brotherhood-social-justice
- James Kirchick, Iran’s Fellow Travelers at the New York Times, Foreign Policy, December 4 2015, https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/12/04/irans-fellow-travelers-at-the-new-york-times/ https://archive.is/mdVnr
- Patrick Howley, New York Times Tech Columnist Calls on Google to Hide Hillary Health Info, Breitbart, 21 Aug 2016, http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/08/21/nyt-tech-columnist-calls-google-suppress-hillary-health-info/ https://archive.is/kBaXM
- Leslie Eastman, Clinton Collapse: Hillary rushed away from 9-11 ceremony, Legal Insurrecton, https://legalinsurrection.com/2016/09/clinton-collapse-hillary-rushed-away-from-9-11-ceremony/ https://archive.is/vv51U
- Board of Directors, New York Times Company, http://www.nytco.com/board-of-directors/ https://archive.is/Z1yY6
- Rigoberto D. Tiglao, New York Times takes over Philippine Daily Inquirer, March 24 2017, http://www.manilatimes.net/new-york-times-takes-philippine-daily-inquirer/318855/ http://archive.is/XjWL2
- https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=640457&privcapId=1674644 https://archive.is/56BD4
- Rebecca van Dyck, New York Times Company, http://www.nytco.com/board-of-directors/rebecca-van-dyck/ https://archive.is/yDytY
- Dee Dee Myers, Todd S. Purdum, May 25 1997 https://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/25/style/dee-dee-myers-todd-s-purdum.html https://archive.is/d6EFy
- We Women Support the Iran Nuclear Deal, Code Pink, https://www.codepink.org/we_women_support_the_iran_nuclear_deal https://archive.is/zwTPs
- Harnisch Foundation Events https://archive.is/K0523
- Ad Council, Advisory Committee on Public Issues, 2016, http://www.adcouncil.org/About-Us/Committees/Advisory-Committee https://archive.is/zwUh0
- Nabiha Syed, Get That Life: How I Became a First Amendment Lawyer, Cosmopolitan, http://www.cosmopolitan.com/career/advice/a7064/get-that-life-nabiha-syed/ https://archive.is/dqC5L
- Nabiha Syed, LinkedIn, https://archive.is/32FZw
- Violence flourishes in the pro-abortion movement, The Interim, January 7 2000 http://www.theinterim.com/activism/violence-flourishes-in-the-pro-abortion-movement/ https://archive.is/EYrpp
- David Harsanyi, Yes, Anti-Zionism Is The Same As Anti-Semitism, The Federalist, January 8 2019, https://thefederalist.com/2019/01/08/yes-anti-zionism-is-anti-semitism/