Epic Games Store
Role in Gamergate
Epic Games Store's was praised from Polygon, Kotaku, and other mainstream game journalist news sites, for taking on "toxic pro-consumerism". and lamenting that Steam does things poorly because of their "failure to police the system, some, gamers, have weaponised the tools Steam gives them" and "Review bombing is becoming a more and more common technique to inflict damage on certain games. Even to the point of even shilling for Epic Games' new launcher, a Polygon article stated "The line about improving the economics of game stores "for everybody", the Epic Games has found a way to get more players to more closely consider the economics of storefronts, and it did with both exclusives and a lower price." Ignoring issues, some of which are present in the Fornite launcher, where thousands of Fortnite gamers' accounts got hacked as well as taken over and that the new EG store doesn't comply with the GDPR laws.
A December 10, 2018, article in Gamasutra by David Galindo, puts in his two cents, were he reached the conclusion that the new client isn't good in its current state, especially for indie developers. Galindo listed Epic Games' features to find that its' lacking. - Friend list (block/unblock functionality), DRM-free packages (optional),refunds, limited regional pricing (more to come in 2019). These lack of features are also this to him - Epic Games is "aren't necessarily taking just 12% to benefit developers, they're taking that 12% because they're offering absolutely nothing in return, feature wise, and it would be a crime to take any more than that at this stage." He makes it clear that he's not against making money, what he doesn't love is the launcher client's restriction of the freedom to choose - "..Epic's launcher, the only way they can funnel customers into their launcher is by locking everyone else out. Outside of a lager dev cut, no one would or should ever choose the Epic launcher as their go-to store." Gamers, including those that buy from Steam, aren't thrilled about the lack of features as well, even listing just how small it is, even suspecting that Epic Games Store does Chinese Commie spying, since Tencent owns 40% of Epic Games share.
As some Steam users found out that Epic Games Store's pricing is fair...If one lives in North America, but in some countries, like New Zealand, the prices keep increasing.
The Great Yonking
It's recently in 2019 that Epic Games Store began "poaching" games from Steam and making them timed exclusives, like Metro Escape, The Walking Dead's Final Episodes, and Operenica: The Stolen Sun . Epic Games's CEO, Tim Sweeney, in 2017, was bashing Microsoft for its using exclusivity on its Windows 10 app store as stated in this Polygon interview. Now he defends Epic Games' suspicious TOS saying "Epic does not share user data with Tencent or any other company." And their "special way" of getting exclusives (a concept that's mostly isolated only to consoles).
- Epic Games Announces Epic Games Store (Gematsu/archive) - 
- Epic Games Announces Epic Games Store (KiA) - 
- Grayson Calls Pro-Consumer "Toxic" - 
- Grayson Calls Pro-Consumer "Toxic" (KIA) - 
- Why Even Avid Steam Gamers Should Celebrate Epic's New Store (Gamesindustry/archive) - 
- Why Even Avid Steam Gamers Should Celebrate Epic's New Store (KIA)-
- Epic Games Wants to Convince You Exclusives Are Great for PC (Polygon/archive) - 
- Polygon Shills for Epic's Store Under Guise It's Good for Consumers (KiA) - 
- The Epic Games Store Does Not Seem to Comply With the GDPR Laws (Games/archive) - 
- Fortnite Had a Security Vulnerability That Lets Hackers Take Over Accounts (CNET/archive) -
- The Epic Store, In Its Current State, Is Not Good for Anyone (Gamasutra/archive) - 
- The Epic Store, In Its Current State Is Not Good For Anyone (Gamasutra) - 
- Steam vs Epic Feature List - 
- Price Keeps Going Up! (Steam/archive) -
- Telltale's The Walking Dead's Final Episodes Coming to The Epic Games Store (IGN/archive) - 
- The Walking Dead's Final Episodes Coming Exclusively to Epic Games Store (KiA) -https://old.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/a81b1w/telltales_the_walking_deads_final_episodes_coming/]
- Telltale's The Walking Dead's Final Episodes Coming to Epic Games Store (IGN) - 
- Operenica: The Stolen Sun Is Yet Another Game That Abandons Steam in Favour of Epic's Store - 
- Epic Games Founder Tim Sweeny Fiercely Denies EGS Sending Data to Chinese Gov - 
- EG Founder Tim Sweeny Fiercely Denies Sending Data to Chinese Gov (Dualshockers/archive) -