From GamerGate Wiki
Anna Anthropy (born Anthony Testa) is an independent game developer. She has developed a number of freeware games including Mighty Jill Off, Redder, Lesbian Spider, Queens of Mars and Dys4ia; and is a co-founder and associate editor of The Gamer's Quarter.
- 1 Role In GamerGate
- 2 References
Role In GamerGate
More than actively participating, GamerGate helped uncover multiple past conflicts of interest between her and Leigh Alexander, which is one of the cases involving lack ethical behavior in gaming journalism that Gamergate actively denounces.
Links to journalist Leigh Alexander
Anna Anthropy was Patricia Hernandez's roommate. Patricia co-wrote the book "Violation: Rape in Gaming" with Leigh Alexander. Leigh has openly stated her dislike for Jim Sterling.[[]]
180px-Dltedblog.png magnify-clip.pngScreenshot of Daphny's Livejournal blog that was made private/deleted.
On 2011, Daphny writes on her livejournal blog how she and Anna had a meeting with the Destructoid staff, stating that she had an interview with the CEO to write a weekly column and that she got a referal from her: "AND LEIGH ALEXANDER GAVE ME A SINCERE AND HONEST FUCKING REFERALL.... i might be writing for destructoid ha ha ha".[[]]
The livejournal got deleted and there are no archives of it. There's only a screenshot of it. It was referenced on the dev forum: TIGforums on March 8, 2011. - Livejournal referenced
Conflicts of Interest
All of these articles are written by Leigh Alexander and talk about Anna or her games. There wasn't any disclosure about their friendship on any of these articles.
- On July 29, 2011, Leigh Alexander writes an article that features 3 games, 2 of them being Anna's.[[]]
- On October 20, 2011. Leigh writes a 2 pages article on the Escapist [[]][[]] fully dedicated to Anna Anthropy and her Lesbian Dating Sims.
- On March 30, 2012. Leigh writes, in Gamasutra, an article fully dedicated to talking about Anna's struggles and how they inspired her games.[[]]
- On December 5, 2012. Leigh Alexander writes on Thecreatorsproject about Indie development, she mentions two developers, One of them being Anna Anthropy. Anna was covered for most of the article and her book was promoted to the point of linking it's amazon page[[]] in the article.[[]]
- On January 7, 2013. Leigh Alexander wrote on Edge an article talking about personalities of cult. Pairing Anna, whose achievements pale in comparison to Notch(Creator of minecraft) and Stephan Molyneux (A modern Anarchism philosopher) and promoting once more her book, linking its IndieBound page.[[]][[]][[]]
- On October 26, 2014. Leigh Alexander wrote an article on Kotaku talking about GDC which included a part where she said how moving Anna's presentation there was, and how it made her cry.14
These articles are written by Patricia Hernandez and talks about Anna and/or her games.
- On January 29, 2014, Patricia Hernandez talks about how close she, Anna, and another girl are.
On February 15, 2012. Kotaku published an article commemorating Dani Buten (A transgender dev) and his trajectory as a game developer. In which some people argued that the use of male pronouns to refer to his pre transition persona was offensive. Anna was one of those that felt offended.[[]]
On February 16, 2012. Anna Anthropy wrote a piece on her blog talking about this article criticizing the use of male pronouns bashing the writer and bashing totilo after he defended via twitter [[]][[]][[]] the good will and good intentions of his writer when he wrote that piece.[[]]
On March 26, 2012. Stephen Totilo writes an article on his site and article where she interviews Anna Anthropy and promotes her book by linking it's Indiebound.[[]]
- ↑ @daphaknee
- ↑ Anna Antrophy- an open letter to Destructoid on Jim Sterling’s misogyny
- ↑ Leigh Alexander -A Tale Of Two Jims
- ↑ daphaknee Livejournal: Made private/deleted.
- ↑ On Kotaku- Sexual Video Games Are Good For Us
- ↑ The Escapist- Dating Sims Get Real (page1)
- ↑ The Escapist- Dating Sims Get Real (page2)
- ↑ Anna Anthropy turns a personal struggle into a heartfelt game - Leigh Alexander. Gamasutra
- ↑ Rise of the Videogame Zinesters: How Freaks, Normals, Amateurs, Artists, Dreamers, Drop-outs, Queers, Housewives, and People Like You Are Taking Back an Art Form - Amazon
- ↑ Gamer's Paradise: Indie As In "Individual" Gaming - Thecreatorsproject
- ↑ Rise of the Videogame Zinesters - Indiebound
- ↑ Molyneux, Notch, Anthropy: why gaming’s new cult of personality is good for the industry - Edge(page 1)
- ↑ Molyneux, Notch, Anthropy: why gaming’s new cult of personality is good for the industry - Edge(page 2)
- ↑ Why I Cried at GDC - Kotaku
- ↑ A Salute to Dani Bunten, a Transgender Video Gaming Pioneer - Kotaku
- ↑ Totilo defending his writer - Twitter 1
- ↑ Totilo defending his writer - Twitter 2
- ↑ Totilo defending his writer - Twitter 3
- ↑ how not to write about a transgendered person- Auntiepixelante
- ↑ Kotaku- What If The Next Generation Thinks Video Games are Stupid? - Kotaku
* This page was last modified on 31 January 2015, at 05:00.
- This page has been accessed 1,530 times.
- Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike unless otherwise noted.